Sunday 23 March 2014

Catching Fire Review

Happy Sunday!
Once upon a time, about two years ago I read a book by a lady called Suzanne Collins. Then I read the next one, and the one after that, until I was left in a ball of tears hibernating in my room for what seems like forever. These books, in case you didn't know, were The Hunger Games series. 

Back in November the film of the second book came out in cinemas, and on Monday it came out on DVD.
I am honestly surprised that I've only watched the film once since watching it, but I think I'll watch it again tomorrow. I forgot how long a film it actually is because in the cinema it all just went past in a blur when in fact it's 2 hours and 20 minutes long. 
I don't really want to give too much away because I don't want to ruin it for anyone who is planning on watching it, but all I will say is that it's amazing. 
It closely follows the plot of the book so I knew what to expect throughout the whole film, however I was pleasantly surprised by just how good it actually was. After reading the first book and watching the first film I agreed with the majority of people that the book is so much better than the film, and I still do. So because of that my expectations for this film weren't too high, although saying that, I knew going into see the film that it would be good, but it completely exceeded my expectations. I think the fact that I wasn't really impressed with the first film made the second film so much better. However I am now left with the tough decision of whether Catching Fire the book is better than Catching Fire the film. The book is amazing, and I stand by that, but the way everything was portrayed in the film is just breathtaking. When reading a book I think there is only so much you can imagine, whereas with a film everything is perfectly laid out before you, the way it was written to be. Although, in the film I do wish they explored the trauma both Katnis and Peeta are suffering with after the first Hunger Games. They did cover it a bit, but I wish they did so in more depth. I can see why they wouldn't want to do that though, especially since that will play a large part in the next two films that will complete The Hunger Games series. 
This might sound a bit weird but some of my favourite parts of the film are when there are these beautiful elaborate outfits being worn. When I was watching it the other day I made my mum come and watch the part where Katnis is wearing the beautiful wedding dress that transforms into the mockingjay outfit when she spins round. Being a bit of a fashion geek this moment inspired me so much, I just can't fathom how the wardrobe department made such beautiful costumes. It makes me really excited to see what they do in the next film.
After I saw this film for the first time I walked out the cinema insisting that it is one of my favourite films ever, and now, having watched it again, that opinion is no different. I love it to pieces. I definitely recommend both the film(s) and all the books. They are something that I think I will carry with me and keep revisiting for the rest of my life.
Thanks for reading! 
See you on Wednesday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment