Wednesday 5 February 2014

La Vie En Rose

Happy Wednesday!
Today we're going to be learning French! Don't worry, we most definitely won't be doing anything of the intellectual kind, that's what school is for.
Last week was How I Met Your Mother's 200th episode (in America) and good golly gosh it was beautiful. I don't want to include any spoilers because I don't want to ruin it for you - if you do watch the show that is, if you don't then what have you been playing about at for the past 9 years? Don't worry, you only have 200 episodes to catch up on. At the end of the show this beautiful song 'La Vie En Rose' was played by... one of the characters (no spoilers, no spoilers, no spoilers). I didn't really know much about the actress so I didn't know how beautiful a voice she had.
When I first heard the song I thought I recognised it slightly and after doing my research I found that it is originally by a French lady called Édith Piaf from 1952. As she was French, the lyrics were, unsurprisingly, in French. But after a while, I think about 50 years later but I could be wrong, Louis Armstrong recorded a cover of this but with English lyrics. These were the words then used in the cover from How I Met Your Mother. Although the original was extremely beautiful, I prefer the lyrics in English as I feel like they have more meaning, but that's probably because I don't speak French.
'La vie en rose' directly translated means 'life in pink' but when it's used as a saying is often meant to mean 'life through rose coloured glasses'. This basically means seeing the good in situations.
However hard this may be I think it's important to 'look on the bright side of life' as it were. I'm probably not the best one to talk but it's always good to try. This week I'm going to make an extra effort to be positive and not just think of everything that could possibly go wrong all the time. It will be hard, but I'll give it ago nonetheless. 
I absolutely love the lyrics to this song. It's pretty much a love song but the lyrics are so personal and contain such emotion that which is what makes me love it. 
Thanks for reading, see you on Sunday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment